As you age, collagen and elastin tissue in human skin weakens. This makes the skin's elasticity less so that there are signs of aging, such as wrinkles. Apparently this condition does not only occur in people who are old, even young people can experience it. So, what causes them to experience premature aging?
You are said to experience premature aging when you look older than you should be. If that happens, it could be your daily habits that accelerate the appearance of these signs of aging.
The following are 5 habits that can accelerate aging in the skin and how to overcome it.
- Exposure to sunlight without protection. Ultraviolet (UV) light emitted from the sun can damage the elastic tissue of the skin. As a result, the skin becomes easily wrinkled prematurely. Not only that, often exposed to sunlight can also trigger the production of brown-colored age spots on the face, hands, and other areas of the body that are often exposed to sunlight. In addition to premature aging, sunlight can make the skin black and increase the risk of skin cancer. In order to avoid the danger of sunlight, you can use sunscreen with a minimum SPF level of 15 each time before outdoor activities. It is advisable to wear it from 11.00 to 15.00, either in hot or cloudy weather. You can get more protection by combining sunscreen with other skin protectors, such as wide-brimmed hats, umbrellas, sunglasses, or loose clothing that covers the skin.
- Smoking. Not only has a bad impact on health, smoking can also affect your appearance. Smokers experience premature aging because of damage to body tissues by toxic substances in cigarettes, and blood circulation to the face. This will accelerate the appearance of wrinkles and make it look clearer, and the facial tone becomes dull. So, if you want to longer lasting longer, stop smoking.
- Consuming excessive alcoholic beverages. Alcoholic drinks are proven to cause premature aging of the skin. This is not much different from the effects of smoking, which is due to damage to skin tissue due to the effects of free radicals. This effect will be more quickly seen if you are often exposed to UV light, excessive stress, and not maintaining a good diet. In addition, alcohol can also reduce levels of vitamin A, vitamin B3, and vitamin C, in the body. These three vitamins are antioxidants that are important for regenerating new cells. In addition to avoiding premature aging of the skin, stopping the habit of drinking alcoholic beverages also aims to avoid the negative effects on the body.
- Poor diet. The diet also affects the condition of your skin. Foods with poor nutrition can cause premature aging. One mechanism is to cause chronic inflammation in the body, for example by the trans fats contained in your food. Some examples of foods that can trigger premature aging are refined carbohydrates (eg bread or pasta), and foods that contain too much sugar. Both types of food can damage collagen in the skin. Other types of food that should be limited, among others, are fried foods, sweet cakes, fast food, and fatty meats. Conversely, multiply the consumption of antioxidant-rich foods. Antioxidants are found in nuts, wine, various berries, broccoli, carrots, green tea and whole grains.
- Sleep deprivation. Sleep deprivation or poor sleep quality not only has a negative impact on health, but can also lead to premature aging of the skin. Research shows that people who have chronic sleep disorders are more at risk of developing skin disorders, including premature aging. Sleep deprivation habits can affect a person's appearance so it looks less fresh.
Aging is part of the body's natural process, but not the case with premature aging. You can avoid premature aging. The trick, is to change your bad habits, to have healthy skin and youthfulness. Don't forget, increasing consumption of water and exercising regularly also have a positive impact on your skin. If necessary, you can consult a doctor to get a check and anti-aging treatment.